Thursday, August 26, 2010

Resin Eye Sanding

Well, it's time to stop being lazy and get back to work on droid #2. The good news is, the to-do list is getting shorter and shorter. The bad news is, I've put off the stuff I don't like doing toward the end. This evening, it was sanding the resin eye.

You may recall that almost exactly one year ago I started this task. Well, I am starting over with a different resin eye for a couple of reasons. First, I made a pretty good mess of the back of the other resin eye with the Dremel, and second, this new eye is about 1/8" taller and wider, which I like.

I poured the resin on this one myself, and the mold had holes for the resin to go in and the air to go out. Thus, there are a few small stalagmites remaining.

A file and some sand paper make quick work of them.

Next, the part I love, sanding the back of the eye to match the dome profile. I blindfolded my dome for this exercise.

In the absence of 300-grit sand paper, I used 400 grit. This does not make for quick work at all. (By the way, taking pictures of yourself sanding an eye against a dome is trickier than it looks.)

The left side is pretty close.

The right side still has miles to go. I may use the Dremel drum sander on the back of the eye, away from the edges of course.

The top and bottom are in decent shape.

That's all the patience I had for tonight. I may wait until I either get better sand paper, or have time to use the Dremel before proceeding.

No comments: