Sunday, February 22, 2015

Discovery Science Center 2015 - Day 2

Today the R2 Builders returned to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA, to participate in Engineering Week. My droid and I were joined by droids and droid parts supplied by Paul Thompson, Maddy Lazerson, Dan Caulkins, William & Nikki Miyamoto and Ken Stubbert.

Like yesterday, our droids were stationed on and around the Sun Stage, and again we talked to people throughout the day.

And like yesterday, at 1:30pm we gave another well-attended presentation about R2 Building in the main theater.

Everyone had a good time, and I'm sure we'll be back again.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Discovery Science Center 2015 - Day 1

Today the R2 Builders participated in Engineering Week at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA. My droid and I were joined by droids and droid parts supplied by William & Nikki Miyamoto, Roy Powers, Maddy Lazerson, Paul Thompson, John Boisvert and Tom Piedmont.

Our droids were stationed on the Sun Stage, and we talked to people throughout the day.

At 1:30pm we gave a 30 minute presentation in the main theater.

It was a good day, and we'll be back tomorrow.

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Assembled RSeries Logics

The last few days I've been working on assembling Paul Murphy's outstanding RSeries front and rear logics.

One of the steps is to lightly sand the inner lenses for each logic so that they will help diffuse the light coming from the LEDs.

I attached these diffusers to their logics.

I also glued in the screw inserts, which I let dry overnight.

Once the glue was dry I was able to finish basic assembly.

Next up, installing the fiber optics. A long fiberoptic cable is supplied with the kit. It is inserted into each hole in the logic bezels and trimmed to size.

The first of many times of this (like 176 total).

I tried using a wire cutter, but it didn't work too well. So I switch to a razor blade, which was a bit harder to use, but did a better job of cutting the fiberoptic cable to be flush with the hole.

One down.

Getting there.

One front logic done. Time to do the second one.

And the second one is done. I turned the exposure way down to capture all that fiberoptic goodness.

On to the rear logic! There are 96 holes to fill for this one, and some of the routing is a bit tricky. I used some zip ties to keep the bezel from bowing out.

Each time I finished a row I tested it.

Getting there.

And done! Yea!

I need to figure out how I'm going to get these mounted in the dome. I'm not in a big rush, but I do look forward to seeing them installed.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Comlink Promo Shoot

Tonight I made a two hour, forty minute drive (thanks to Los Angeles rush hour traffic) to Burbank to help out with a promotional shoot for the Youtube series "The Comlink," hosted by David Collins, with James Arnold Taylor. Here's how it turned out.

We had several characters join us, from Vader and stormtroopers, to an Imperial officer and a Jedi, and R2 joined up with Gordon Tarpley as C-3PO, whom Michael McMaster helped.

Since I'm lazy, I'll just present a hodge-podge of behind-the-scenes pics with minimal commentary.

Haha, R2 is too short, so we put him on boxes. Needless to say I locked his feet down by flipping the switch that powers-off the speed controller.

It was a long night, but a fun one. Who knows, maybe R2 will be back again one day.

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Wedding Reception

Tonight R2 was a guest at America Young's wedding reception. America is a talented actress and producer who attends the Breakfast with Santa event that I've brought R2 out to the last few years.

I arrived around 5:10pm and got R2 ready for his entrance, complete with bowtie.

The plan was to have America escort R2 out onto the dance floor as a big surprise guest. Even her groom Dove didn't know R2 would be there.

The DJ announced R2, and everyone went wild. R2 did some dancing and had fun on the dance floor with the happy couple and the guests.

After he was done dancing, I stationed R2 near the dessert table for photo ops.

We weren't too far from the wedding cake. I managed to resist pawing it.

A little while later, the bride and groom cut the cake, and we wrapped up our visit.

Wedding are always fun and special occasions, I'm glad I was able to help out just a little bit with this one.

Friday, December 19, 2014

KABC-TV Spark of Love Toy Drive 2014

Tonight, R2 participated for the second year in a row at the Spark of Love Toy Drive, held in the Honda Center parking lot by Los Angeles ABC affiliate KABC-TV.

Star Wars characters appear on the local newscast to help bring in viewers to drop off new, unwrapped toys and meet them. And it works!

Here's one of the news clips. Sorry if a short ad plays first. :(

And the behind the scenes version:

Meteorologist Garth Kemp hosts the event from before sunrise until well after sundown. Complete with elf suit.

R2 and various Star Wars characters helped promote the event live on the air, and posed for pictures with those dropping off toys.

Cameraman and event organizer Edgar is fond of R2, and would sometimes get a shot of him as the newscast would go into or out of a commercial break.

Here's a still of one of the shots that made it on the air.

Besides viewers, various organizations also donate literally tons of toys. There were even 200 bicycles donated!

They managed to fill 27 busses! I can't imagine a local kid not having a chance to get a toy this Christmas.

R2 wrapped up with a quick picture with Garth Kemp, and then it was off for home!

Three events during the week kept me pretty busy, but I think things look calm for the next couple weeks, at least. But you never know...