Today I worked on the harness that holds the U-bolt that the winch will hook onto, to lift the droid in the car. This harness goes into the droid itself.
I started by cutting a segment of square steel tube that spans the width of the manual droid lift that I built in 2007.
Next, I measured, marked and drilled holes for a pair of 3/8" bolts that will attach the tube to the bars.
So far so good. The tube is secured to the bars.
Next, I marked where to drill the holes for the U-bolt, and drilled the holes.
Everything seems to fit.
Then, having done all that, I rotated the tube 90 degrees did it all over again!
I didn't like how little material is available on the underside of the U-bolt, so I bought a larger U-bolt with a larger diameter, necessitating the redrilling. No big deal. I will probably cut down the longer U-bolt later.