Monday, May 02, 2011

Back Up and Running

Yesterday I mentioned that I had a failure of the right motor output signals coming from my Vantec RDFR23 speed controller. I was only seeing 5 volts coming out of the right motor outputs, rather than 12 volts. Today I called Dail at Vantec to ask him about this.

He mentioned that the only time he's seen this symptom is when the wiring gets loose. When I got home I checked the wiring, and sure enough, the ground wires on the very right were somewhat loose. I tightened them down.



Suspecting this may have been the problem with my first RDFR23 speed controller, I pulled that one out of storage and tested it, but I found 0 volts coming out of the right foot connector. I checked that part of the connector, and found that the fifth connector output from the left looks "defective." I don't see the metal sleeve. I'm sure it's in there, but it may have gotten shoved in too far.



There are redundant adjacent connectors, so I moved the wire over one to the left, and then my original RDFR23 started working properly. Because the problem was intermittent in the first place, I'm not going to declare victory for that one yet. But I think the second speed controller is probably working fine now. R2 is back up and running.

No comments: