Friday, January 21, 2011

White Primer for Eye, First Set of Ankle Cylinders and Ankle Details

Late today I had a chance to apply white primer to the resin eye, the pair of ankle cylinders for the middle leg, and the ankle details. I just might be able to paint tomorrow after all.

The gray primer on the eye is about to get a lot brighter.



I applied not one, not two, ..., not five, but six light coats of primer. Why so many? Because I was trying to keep the primer from running, so I applied relatively light coats at as long an arm's reach as I could muster. Plus, I want to be able to lightly sand this smooth tomorrow without worrying about sanding the primer completely off.



Here's a less blinding shot in the shade. Some trivia: The eye is sitting on what was once a perfectly flat piece of plywood, a scrap from my frame on droid #1. Those round things on the wood are from years of spray painting.



Next up, the ankle cylinders.



I made sure to hit the thin grooves. I saw a slight drip that will need light sanding, but I don't think it will be a problem.



Finally, the ankle details.



These are good to go too.



With any luck, tomorrow I will take another shot at the final painting of the eye. Time permitting, I will mask the cylinders and ankle details, and paint the silver portions. Blue will have to wait for another day.

No comments: