Sunday, December 05, 2010

Channel Work on Center Foot Shell

Before attaching the foot strips on the center foot, I decided the channel on the foot shell needed a bit of work.

The inside face of the front and back pieces come up a bit short against the wooden center foot, creating a "V" shape between the two.



I decided to use a couple of the remaining scrap pieces of styrene to fill the void. The scraps are just a little too long.



A rough cut with the hack saw takes care of that in just a few seconds.



After a little sanding to size, and the loose fit looks good.



I strangled the little remaining model glue out of the Testors tube and applied it to the scrap piece.



I glued the piece in place, and repeated the process for the other side. (And I made a minor glue mess on the face of the foot shell that I'll sand smooth later.)



By design, this now presents the opposite problem, the scraps sit higher than the wooden foot.



A small sanding block and sand paper removes most of the excess material.



A small square file and a utility knife helped scrape away the rest. The void between the foot shell and wooden foot is gone.



I didn't have enough time to sand down the other side, but I'll get to that soon.

2 comments:

DarthMoose74 said...

Don't you just love the little stuff that takes forever to fix. LOL

R2#2 is looking great Victor!

Victor Franco said...

Thanks Moose!

BTW, I check out your updates pretty much every day.

-Victor