Thursday, May 10, 2007

Voltage Converter Arrives, Wheel Housing Cuts, Painted Foot Shell Window Details

The voltage converter that I ordered from Aircraft Spruce arrived today. This will convert 28/24 volts down to the 12 volts that the CFSound III card requires. I haven't tried it out yet, but I will test with a multimeter first, you can bet on that. Thanks to Chris Romines for finding this. There are similar products out there, but this is the one I ended up going with.

I decided to go ahead and open up the wheel housings on the drivetrain to allow a 1/4" layer of rubber that I may glue to the wheels to pass through the edge of the housing. Without this trim, there wasn't enough room for that extra material.

I placed one of the rubber strips I cut last night on top of the wheel to get a feeling for how much material needed to be removed.

I used a jigsaw to hack away at the wheel housing, and I used a file to clean up the cut.

I wrapped up by hand painting the hard-to-reach areas of the foot shells, where the little windows are. I'm not sure if this really mattered, but I decided to do it anyway.

All the painting I did this week should be thoroughly dry by the weekend, so I'll be putting R2 back together again soon, and adding the finishing touches early next week. The end is near.

No comments: