Sunday, April 01, 2007

Finished Cutting Center Foot, Primer for Half Moons, Filed Shafts, Attached Foot Strips

Unlike last year, I didn't have an April Fools joke for this year.

It was a busy day, but still not enough hours to do all that needs doing.

I started off by finishing the wood cuts on the center foot. I found that I needed another 1/2" of plywood to make everything work. I also have the casters sticking out further than half way from the bottom of the foot. I'm not sure if that may present any problems, but I don't think so.

I had to glue up that last 1/2" of plywood, so I hope to screw and bolt everything together once the glue dries.

Next, I turned to the enjoyable task of filing steel. Four axles and three shaft adapters need two flat spots each, to accommodate the set screws for the gears and wheels.

I applied primer to the half moons today. I was also going to prime the foot shell doors, but I didn't get around to it. All I did for those was rough them up with sand paper.

I wrapped up by installing the foot strips on all the feet.

For the front strips on the outer feet, I taped each foot strip in place and traced the circles for the knurled cable fittings with a pencil, to indicate where to drill.

I used a 5/8" Forstner bit to cut out the circles.

For the foot strips on the backs of the outer feet, and for both foot strips on the center foot, I drilled and tapped holes for #4-40, 3/8" machine screws. Those foot strips are screwed in from the inside.

I likewise drilled the foot shells, but I let the screw itself do the tapping into the PVC.

One step closer.

No comments: