Tuesday, March 20, 2007

More Shaft Adapters, Wheel Housing Drilled & Milled, Battery Recharger for Remote

Lots of pictures today.

Back on January 28th of this year, I drilled four shaft adapters for the drivetrain and dome drive. Two of the adapters turned out fine, but the other two had holes that were a little off-center. So early today on the way in to work, I went back to Industrial Metal Supply and purchased another foot of 3/4" diameter steel rod. I had them cut as many 1.25" sections as possible (9) for the shaft adapters.

They use a humongous band saw to cut the steel rod.



Now I have a lifetime supply of raw material for shaft adapters for my drivetrain and dome drive.



In the afternoon, I went to my friend-of-a-friend's machine shop to have the wheel housing of the drivetrain cut and milled.

First, they calibrate the CNC machine so that the 1-3/8" diameter hole will be exactly where it belongs.



Then, a big bore starts drilling the hole.



After all the holes were drilled, they milled out the slots on the top that will allow the chain to be tensioned.



When I got home, I found that the slots on top were just slightly too close to each other, so I had to file one of them on each wheel housing to widen it slightly.



Everything seems to fit as far as I can tell.



I also tried out one of the foot shells to see how it would fit, and it also seems to be in pretty good shape. I will need to file the channel area on the foot shell a bit lower to match the drivetrain channel, but I already planned on doing that.



Finally, I bought this today, whatever it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victor, Can you tell i am doing battery research?? What is the conditioner for?

Victor Franco said...

Mike told me to get this for the remote control transmitter and receiver. He says he's been going something like 3 or 4 years on the same rechargeable batteries. The remote comes with a charger, but apparently this one is superior.