Saturday, March 17, 2007

Drilled Drivetrain Channel & Main Bar

I went to Kelvin's again today to drill some holes in the drivetrain channel that we cut last weekend. His drill press has a fence, which I wanted to use to get a nice, straight row of holes.

Twenty-four holes were drilled and countersunk (twenty-five if you count a practice hole) with a 0.266" drill bit and a 1/2", 82 degree countersink bit.





When I came home, I worked on drilling and tapping the main bars that will hang from the channels, and from which the motor mounts will hang. I used a #7 drill bit, followed by a 1/4-20 tap to drill and tap these.



Everything seems to line up properly, the screws go through the countersunk holes in the channel and they screw into the main bar. I still have four more holes to drill into each of the main bars for the motor mounts, and I need to drill some holes in the aluminum wheel holders.

2 comments:

Calvin Thomas said...

That's the channel where the Ankle sets into, Right?
How do you know where to drill the hole for the Ankle bolt?
Is it dead center of the channel?
Hey, I got some pics of the Southern meeting at my blog.
You can see my dome and me trying to wire the lights.
Calvin

Victor Franco said...

Calvin,

>That's the channel where the Ankle sets into,
>Right?

You are correct.

>How do you know where to drill the hole for
>the Ankle bolt?
>Is it dead center of the channel?

Yes, it's dead-center. The H&A drivetrain blueprints (available on the Yahoo R2 Builders Files section) do indeed show the ankle bolt going through dead-center. I'm waiting to drill that until I've gotten a little farther in the drivetrain build.

>Hey, I got some pics of the Southern meeting
>at my blog.
>You can see my dome and me trying to wire
>the lights.

Cool! Looks like it was a great gathering. That dome of yours looks even more incredible in the daylight!

-Victor