Friday, August 28, 2026

Finished Reattaching Dome Panels for Droid #2

Today I was able to reattach the dome panels on droid #2 that were recently re-clearcoated with 2K clearcoat. This was pretty much a replay of yesterday with droid #1's dome, so I'll spare us both the details, although here are a couple of panels in the process of being reattached.



The plastic that I use behind the front PSI is severely discolored, so I might as well replace that as long as I'm messing around with the dome.



I cut a couple of pieces of plastic from the same sheet I always use for the PSI diffusion.



I used the same VHB tape I'm using to attach the panels to attach the diffusion pieces, simply because that's what I had handy and my masking tape is old and gross.



Ok, back to the panels. I wrapped up with the pie panels and round panels on top. Each of those pie panels (except the one with the holoprojector) had 6 pieces of VHB tape that needed to be peeled off. Again, my poor finger tips bore the brunt of that for all the panels again. I'm glad that's behind me.



And here's droid #2, in all his dome-panels-clear-coated-with-2K-clearcoat glory.



Probably what surprised me the most is that even with removing and reinstalling the rear logics module on both domes and other monkeying around in them, I didn't break anything. All the lights still worked.

Anyway, that's over with, and hopefully I won't have to remove any dome panels again for a long time (like, ever).

No comments: