Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Started Prepping Spare Foot Motors

You never know when you might need a spare foot motor. I have two of them, so I figured now is as good a time as any to prepare them for future installation.

The NPC 2212 motors come with an axel through the motor that protrudes on both sides. One side needs to be cut off completely, while the other side needs to be shortened in order for the motor to fit into the droid's foot shell and battery box.



I used my handy angle grinder with the cutoff wheel for this task.



I moved over to a shorter table to get a better angle, and finish the job.



I then repeated the process on the second motor.



I removed the left foot and motor from droid #1, to temporarily pull the gear so I could use it to measure where to cut the other side of the axel.



I chopped the other side of the axel down to size on the first motor and did a test-fit of the gear.



I repeated the process for the other motor, and then it was time to move onto the grinding phase. Besides axel trimming, some of the edges of the motor need to be ground down to fit into the battery box. I inspected the existing motor to see what areas I had already ground down.



I swapped the cutoff wheel with the grinding wheel on the angle grinder, and got to work grinding material off the motors.



I compared the existing motor (bottom) to the new one (top), and they look like they mostly match.



I only ground down one of the two motors, and I still need to test the fit in the foot shells to see if I've removed enough material. I hope to get to that very shortly.

No comments: