Saturday, October 12, 2019

Started (and Stopped) Installing Bearings

Tonight I planned to install the bearings in the new drivetrain bodies, but as we'll see, I didn't get far.




I fitted some scrap wood into the drivetrain body, because I planned to use a mallet to hammer on another piece of scrap wood on top of the bearing to tap it into place. The wood in the drivetrain body helps to ensure that I don't crush it.



A few minutes of light (and not so light) tapping, and the first bearing is in place.



When I inspected the result, I saw that the bearing protruded a little less than 1/8" into the drivetrain body (the drivetrain body is 3/8" thick).




I decided to stop at this point, because I want to make sure that the wheel will fit into the drivetrain body when all the bearings are installed. Since I have an event coming up tomorrow, I certainly don't want to start pulling wheels off the droid right now, so this will have to wait a little longer.

No comments: