Thursday, December 27, 2018

Adjustment for Shoulder Hub Flashing, Filed Flat Spot on New Gas Pipe, Widened Holes for Nuts on Gas Pipe

Today I just about wrapped up work on the gas pipe transplant effort on droid #1.

I started by adding a few layers of masking tape to the inner perimeter of the flashing that wraps around the shoulder discs, to keep things nice and snug. Hopefully this will help prevent the flashing from moving when I install the legs on the body.



Next, I worked on filing the flat spot on the 1" gas pipe, upon which the vertical rail rests. I tilted the droid to its requisite 36° and marked where on the pipe I should file the flat spot. Then I took the work to the garage and started the work with a file.



After I had a bit of a flat spot going, I used the angle grinder to progress a little further.



Before going much further, I took the pipe back to the droid and ensured that things were going as planned. The tilt was still at 36°, so I went back to the garage to continue with the file. I wanted to be more precise with the file than I could be with the angle grinder. A little while longer, and I was done.



Turning to the bolts that lock the pipes together, I found that if I tried to wiggle the legs hard enough when they were bolted together, I was able to move them just a bit. I had this problem with droid #2, and Mike Senna suggested that I drill a larger hole on the side where the nut goes, so that the nut can fit partially through the hole and draw the inner pipe tight against the outer pipe when the bolt and nut are tightened.



That seems to have fixed the wiggle problem.

I started to put the droid back together, but I saw that some keystock managed to work itself loose on the front gear of the right drivetrain, so I'm going to need to fix that. I also managed to knock loose the right-front under shoulder detail, so I will need to glue that back in place. And there are minor white paint dings that the legs incurred during this effort that I need to touch up. Still, the end of the gas pipe transplant is in sight.

No comments: