Monday, July 02, 2018

More Filling, Sanding and Drilling for R5-D4 Utility Arms

Today I put in a little more work on R5-D4's utility arms.

I had accidentally knocked out some material I had filled last night, so I redid the application and sanding.




I also needed to address another problem. Evidently my drill press table wasn't perfectly level, so the holes I drilled for the pivot points are just slightly off from being perpendicular through the arms. It is very slight, but it's enough that the arms don't want to swing in and out of the skins perfectly level.



I decided to re-level the drill press table and drill the hole just slightly larger.




This allows the rod to sit perpendicular to the arm.



Although this allows for some wiggle room with the rod in hole, I will soon use JB Weld to affix the rod in the arm. When I do so, I will have the arm mounted level in the body, so that the JB Weld will harden with the rod straight up and down in the body, and the arm level with the skins.

I wrapped up today's work with a little more spot-filling.



I'm sure once I hit the arms with primer I'll find a few more small areas that will need some work, but I think I'm ready to JB Weld the pivot rods in place next.

No comments: