Friday, April 04, 2014

Started Prepping Aluminum Foot Shells for Painting on Droid #2

Time to start prepping the aluminum foot shells for painting on droid #2.

I started off by sanding the paintable surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper.



All roughed-up.



Next up, cleaning them up with acetone.



All nice and shiny.



I temporarily reattached the half moons for the outer foot shell doors, in order to help properly locate the side details and strips. I loosely laid out the parts to locate them. Hopefully Gorilla Glue will do the trick.



I applied the Gorilla Glue to the back of the parts, and smeared it around with a toothpick.




Hopefully these will hold.



Oh yeah, I forgot I gouged a hole in the center foot shell with the Dremel.



Let's fill that with some JB Weld.



And a razor blade smooths things out.



Before I paint the outer foot shells, I still need to widen the holes for the knurled hose fittings, as the predrilled holes in the foot shells don't match up with those in the foot strips.

No comments: