Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cut and Painted Ankle Locks and Screws for Droid #2

Tonight I finally had time to cut and paint (for the center foot, at least) the ankle locks for droid #2, that keep the feet from flopping around when the droid changes directions.

I jammed a piece of paper into the ankle area where the lock will go for the center foot, and traced the outline.

I then cut out that template and traced it onto a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar.

I wisely chose to drill the hole for the mounting screw before cutting the bar, but then foolishly forgot to countersink the hole while the bar was in once piece. Oh well, I went back and did it later.

I rough-cut the ankle lock with a hacksaw.

I mentioned yesterday that my old lightsaber had died, so I picked up a new HAL-9000 model today.

The first job for the new Dremel was to grind the curve on the center ankle locks.

I used a drywall screw to mount the ankle lock for a test fit on the left side. I needed to cut the screw down so that it would not pass completely through the leg. The test fit looked good, and I completed the process for the right side of the center foot.

I them primed and painted the center ankle locks and mounting screws.

Next up, the ankle locks for the outer legs. Again, I used a paper template, and traced the outline. For the outer legs, I'm using the cutting board I used for droid #1, and that has been used for several other droids over the years.

And I drilled the holes for the outer locks as well.

As with the center ankle locks, I used a drywall screw and did a test fit. Looks good.

I wrapped up by priming and painting the mounting screws for the outer legs. The ankle locks don't need paint, they're white enough.

Things are close to be being done to make droid #2 mobile and complete. I mainly just need to reassemble the feet and battery boxes.

I still want to file a flat spot on the gas pipes for the main legs, where the vertical angle-iron that enforces 36 degree lean is U-bolted. I also ordered and received some LM7809 9-volt regulators that I'm interested in trying on the electronics board, to see if they can effectively power the audio amplifier, rather than using a 9-volt battery. I don't think I'll get to either of those tasks in the very near term though.

No comments: