Back to work on the aluminum foot shell doors on droid #2. Yesterday I kind of forgot the center foot has two doors, so I need to make a few extra tabs to complement yesterday's batch. (I think I may have made this same goof previously too on either droid #1 or the A&A foot shells, or maybe both.) I sanded and cleaned all the surfaces before gluing.
Gorilla Glue claims the ability to adhere plastic to metal, so I'm going to put it to the test, as I used it to attach the pivot tabs on the bottoms of the foot shell doors.
I also decided to use Gorilla Glue to glue the metal tabs that go on the diagonal edge, that keep the door from sliding left-to-right. It's certainly easier to work with than JB Weld, and hopefully it will do the job.
I repeated the process for both the right and left feet.
Next up, the center foot. I taped the door down before getting to work.
I was only able to do one of the two doors, as I wait for the glue to dry.
Yesterday I mentioned some additional 1/16" thick metal tabs that I cut. The reason for these is that the PVC pieces are 1/8" thick, while the door frame is only 1/16" thick. Thus, the pivot pieces end up hovering above the door frames. If necessary, I will glue down those 1/16" tabs onto the door frames, but I'll wait until I can test out the door fit.
PVC glue claims the ability to adhere PVC to PVC, so that's what I used for the tabs that will hold the tops of the doors to the door frames.
I glued up eight of these pairs, and they'll get glued onto the doors soon.