Thursday, November 07, 2013

Started Filling Slots in Left Foot Shell for Droid #2

Back to working on the aluminum foot shells for droid #2, for the first time in a long time.

These foot shells have very thin slots where the metal bends at a sharp angle, and these need to be filled in prior to painting. I've decided to use JB Weld for this job. Before applying JB Weld though, I cleaned the slots up with acetone.



Nice and shiny.



I used a toothpick to apply the JB Weld to these slots.



Then, I used a razor blade to clean up most of the excess JB Weld.



I repeated these steps for the slots at the top of the same side of the foot shell.




I'll let this dry overnight, and it may require some light sanding. I may also need to make a second pass if I notice any gaps, or once it's primed.

I still need to do the bottom slots on the other three sides. I'll probably only be able to do one side per day, so as to prevent gravity from causing the JB Weld to drip.

No comments: