Thursday, May 23, 2013

Awards Event for Baby Leah Fundraiser

Many Star Wars fans know of the health challenges facing little Leah Esquenazi ("Princess Leah"). Christina Amato helped to organize a fundraising event with her UC Irvine sorority, Phi Sigma Rho. Their 24-hour fundraiser was able to raise over $500 toward Leah's medical bills. R2 joined members of the 501st, Rebel Legion and Mandalorian Mercs to help celebrate as fundraising awards were handed out.

UCI happens to be my college alma mater, and is only 5 minutes from where I work, so it was easy to bring R2 to the 6:00pm event. I never thought in my four years as a student there that I would one day return with my own R2-D2. We posed outside Steinhaus Hall for pictures with whoever happened by at that somewhat late point in the campus day.



Shortly thereafter, we went into the room the sorority reserved for the awards. Leah's parents Fran and Zev were able to make the drive down from the Los Angeles area to attend, along with their new doggie Roxy.









Personally, I wouldn't try cheating off of a biker scout.



It was a fun little celebration for a very worthy cause.

The full photoset is here.

No comments: