Wednesday, April 17, 2013

More Periscope Wiring Work

Tonight I spent a little bit of time working on the periscope wiring.

I ran off five different colored lengths of wire. Black and red will supply power, and green, yellow and white will supply the three bits of binary input for selecting mode of operation. These last three wires can be omitted, and the periscope board will default to Mode 0, which nicely rotates through various LED colors and patterns.

For the record, Mode 1 is off, Mode 2 is Obi-Wan mode (blue fades), Mode 3 is Yoda mode (green fades), Mode 4 is Sith mode (red blinking), Mode 5 is Searchlight mode (all LEDs white, including blindingly bright center LED), Mode 6 is Movie mode (white LEDs without the super-bright LED on), and Mode 7 is Sparkle/Seizure mode. The main board is reprogrammable as well.



I used some crimp-on connectors, which I then fed and locked into a 5-pin connector shell.



While this kind of works, I have a feeling I'm going to go with a different solution, as the wires wiggle a bit in the 5-pin connector that attaches to the periscope controller board.



I need to figure out how I want to connect the other end of the wires to the main periscope board.

No comments: