Thursday, July 19, 2012

Reinstalled R5 Dome Parts

Tonight I spent some time reinstalling the various greeblies that decorate the R5-D4 dome.

I'm trying to come up with a method of holding the antenna on with a spring mechanism. Currently, I'm using a 10-32 screw, a spring, and a couple of washers. When the antenna is grabbed from above, the spring compresses, allowing a little give, but finally stopping.

This setup certainly holds the antenna on well, but I may tinker with it some more. Or not.

I reinstalled the various eyes and other weird appendages, as well as the side and rear struts.

D'oh! I installed the rear strut upside-down. And it took me something like 45 minutes to get it in there, due to the limited space for the screws that hold it in. I guess I'll fix this, lest some 4 year old point out how wrong it is.

Otherwise, things are getting close to finished.

The bottom dome ring is still separated from the rest of the dome. It fits on with some friction, but I plan to use a hot glue gun to reattach it. I also need to apply a little more touch-up paint with a brush, and figure out a good way to hold the button snap in place toward the bottom-right of the front of the dome.

No comments: