Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Finished Drilling Drivetrain for Channel Pieces

After deciding to not rush the drilling of the drivetrain for the top channel pieces last night, tonight I removed the chain and gears on the two drivetrains and got back to work.



I sandwiched lots of things together to get the channel piece centered. Similar to last night's effort, I clamped a piece of 1/2" plywood to the main drivetrain body, with a portion of the plywood rising above the top of the main body. Next to that, I placed a 1/4" piece of MDF, followed by a 1/8" piece of PVC, to give me my 3/8" spacing from the edge of the main body for the top channel piece. I also wedged a 3/4" piece of plywood and a 1/4" piece of MDF into the channel itself, to help keep the channel from bending as I applied a clamp to all that work.



With center of the channel piece aligned to the center of the main drivetrain body, it was time to drill the 1/4" holes on the drill press.



Four holes later, and the two channel pieces were attached to their respective drivetrain bodies.



I still need to countersink the holes in the channel pieces, but I'll have to wait to borrow my friend Kelvin's countersink bit, as the one I have won't reach that deep into the channel.

No comments: