Sunday, January 16, 2011

Prep, Prime and Paint of Resin Parts

Today was a great day for painting, the weather was perfect. I only wish there were more hours in the day.

I started by drilling some 1/8" mounting holes in the ankle cylinder holders and the ankle cylinders.

These holes accommodate the 1/8" metal rods I use to mount the parts for painting.

Although I use white primer for the blue parts, I've decided that the first coat or two of primer will be gray, to ensure complete coverage. I figured I'd start with the ankle details.

Hmm, I don't like the look of this. I think I need to sand the top surfaces of these parts smoother before I proceed. Oh well, there are plenty of other parts to paint.

Those other parts include the ankle cylinder wedges. Again, gray primer first.

Followed by white.

Followed by Rustoleum Metallic Purple.

Followed by Duplicolor Anodized Blue.

Finally, followed by two coats of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel clear coat. Phew!

And then there is our friend, the resin eye. I also gave it a coat of gray primer; for among other reasons, I wanted to inspect the eye for any follow-up work that might be required.

While the top surface looks pretty good, I did find some areas on the top side that could use a little bit of filling that I hadn't noticed before.

So I sanded most of the primer off in that area, and put down a thin layer of Evercoat. I did not have time to sand that down today.

I also put primer on the ankle cylinder holders, but I wasn't able to paint them, as I'm pretty much out of Rustoleum Satin White.

I need to run to the store and pick up a few more cans of paint and primer, because there is still a large pile of parts to paint.

No comments: