Thursday, October 07, 2010

Glued Side Supports for Front Logic Housing

Tonight I was able to glue on the side supports that hold the box for the front logics in place.

You'd think this would be trivial, but there is a method to it.

First, I needed to cut a strip of PVC in half to make the supports.




Next, I made sure the outer dome panel fit just right, and then I fitted the box with the front logics inside it, to ensure that everything would line up when I'm done.



Then, I taped down the outer panel.



Next, it was time to start gluing the side supports. The bottom edge and the inside face get the glue.



With the box held down in place with one hand, I glued down the left support with the other.



I repeated the process for the other side.




I still need to glue some small segments of PVC behind the logic boards, to force them forward in the housings. That way, when the housing is screwed down on the dome ring, the logic boards and aluminum surrounds will be sandwiched between the inner dome in the front, and the PVC segments in the back.


After the glue had dried, I took a family portrait of the various dome electronics mounts and housings.



Finally, my "I don't believe this..." moment. As I was putting my PVC scraps away, I noticed a Ziplock bag with some PVC in it.



Hmm, what's this? It's a front logic housing assembly all perfectly cut and labeled from when I built droid #1!!

I had cut a second one at the time in advance, for droid #2. This was sitting on a shelf all this time and I didn't even realize it! D'OH!



I literally mumbled out loud, "I don't believe this." Several times.

I wonder how many other pre-made things I have sitting in my droid junk room like this that I don't realize? Misadventures indeed.

No comments: