Monday, September 13, 2010

Painted Rear PSI Area on Inner Dome

This evening, I picked up from where left off yesterday, and lightly sanded the primer in the area of the rear PSI on the inner dome, in preparation for final painting.



And on to painting. Each coat is applied around 10-15 minutes apart. First up, Rustoleum Metallic Purple.



I apply it until until it looks wet, and/or there is a slight reflection in the paint.



Next, the Duplicolor Anodized Blue.



Same deal, apply until it looks wet.



Finally, two clear coats with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel.



Looks good!



Once the paint had dried for a little while, I decided to remove the masking tape. Removing the masking tape after the paint is completely dry can lead to chipping around the edges. The edges won't show since they are covered by the frame piece from the outer dome that goes over this area, but still, I'd prefer no chipping.



Now, to review it outdoors. This paint formula is famous for giving different looks under different lighting conditions, which I like.



It reflects houses and trees nicely as well.




With that out of the way, I believe I can now permanently bond the inner and outer domes together. I will double-check my to-do list, but I don't think there is any remaining work that requires that the domes be separated. I certainly want the domes bonded together when it comes time to mount the resin eye, which is coming up soon (I hope).

1 comment:

Gunbu said...

Looks great! Love the shine.
-Eric