Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sanded Backs of Resin Ankle Details

Wait, wasn't I building a second droid?

After three weeks of doing no work on droid #2, I finally got around to doing something. Tonight, it was sanding the backs of the resin ankle details smooth.

If you've been paying really close attention to droid #2, you may recall that I poured some resin from Mike Senna's molds of his scratch-built ankle details way back on March 4, 2009. The only problem, if it can really be considered a problem, is that these ankle details were made for a slightly thinner leg than I'm using on droid #2. Droid #2 has an extra 1/8" layer in it to make up for the fact that plywood is a little thinner than its nominal width. So, I decided to order a set of ankle details from Keith, since they are a better match for the legs on droid #2.

Okay, time to start sanding.

One down, three more to go.

Here's a picture of an unsanded back (left) versus one that has been sanded smooth. It's barely noticeable, but there is a tiny gap below the edge of the ankle detail on the left. With a little effort, that is eliminated.

All done!

Hopefully I can keep some momentum going and continue making progress with droid #2.

No comments: