Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Droid Lift Mast Cut to Size

I was lamenting to my coworker Rich about having to saw two more inches from the 1"-diameter steel rod again, when he said, "Hey, I have a reciprocating saw like a Sawzall with a tungsten carbide blade. We'll cut it at my house at lunchtime." Sounds good to me!

Rich wields the lightsaber.



It's not pretty, but it'll do. It took about 15 minutes to cut with the power saw. It took me 30 minutes to do by hand the other day, not bad if you ask me.



When I got home, I checked the clearance into the top of the car. I need at least 1.5" clearance above the boom for the 3"-diameter pulley that will hold the winch cable. No problem.



I'd also like at least 1.5" above the droid. This is right at the edge, but this distance is less critical, as the pulley shouldn't be in a position to bump into the highest parts sticking out of the droid. If I really needed to, I could reposition the pipe and cut the manual droid lift bars down.



The other nice thing is that the whole droid lift can fit into the car without taking it apart. I would just need to lock down the mast so it doesn't swing around, and I know how to do that.

No comments: