Friday, August 21, 2009

Started Working on Eye

Well, it just might be time to resume dome work. The first thing I ever did for droid #2 was cut the panels out on the dome and have them painted, so it's about time.

Rather than work on the dome itself, I'm starting with the resin eye. The first thing to do is trim the four legs off the back. I used the Dremel with the cutoff wheel attachment to remove most of the legs.

I used the drum sander attachment to remove most of the remaining material. I also removed some material from the back of the eye in general, in order to help ensure that it will be the perimeter of the eye that sits flush against the dome.

I finished up by hand sanding the remaining nubs off the four corners.

Next, I will tape some sand paper to the outer dome, and sand the eye against the dome itself, to ensure the correct profile, and a flush fit. Hopefully that won't take forever like it did with droid #1.

No comments: