Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Ordered Remote Control, Cut Drivetrain Frame

Today was a long-awaited day, I ordered my remote control from Vantec. I ordered product numbers KH916 (Futaba 9 channel remote + Keycoder 16 switch Hitchhiker for controlling sounds) and RDFR23 (the dual front/rear speed controller). The radio is retuned for ground frequencies by Vantec. I was told the wait for the radio is about three weeks, but that's just a blip on the R2-building time scale. The equipment cost a pretty penny, but nothing but the best for R2. :)

Today I also started scratch-building my drivetrain. Thanks to my friend Kelvin and his band saw, what would otherwise have been a difficult portion of the build was made much less so.

Kelvin and I took turns cutting on the dotted lines of my aluminum tubing, forming the main frame of the drivetrain.




The band saw did a very good job of cutting through the aluminum 2x4, even on some of the longer cuts.



The parts turned out exactly how I hoped they would. (My only concern is that what I hoped for, and what I actually need won't be one and the same.)



There is still a long way to go on these, more metal to cut and holes to drill. But it's a start.

No comments: