Sunday, October 08, 2006

Pocket Vent Work

I know, I know. I'm supposed to be working on the PVC center foot shell. But I don't feel like I'm ready yet, I need to really understand how all the angles meet up and why. The visit to Mike's on Thursday was a big help, but I need to work through all this myself and understand why things connect the way they do. That, plus I didn't realize I have hardly any PVC left, I need to order more in order to finish the foot shells. D'oh!

So in the meantime, I worked on fitting the pocket vents into the body. I had hoped that I had Dremeled out enough material on the frame back on August 29 to fit the pocket vents within the body, but when the time came, that turned out not to be the case. Time to break out the Dremel again, and make more space.

Much better. As usual, I gave them a loose fit. I plan to secure them with silicone later. For now, I have the back plate taped on. I will screw it down at the end of the week when the paint has had plenty of time to completely dry. The back plate actually bends along the pocket vent curve, and I don't want to mess with the paint job by bending the plate until I think it's ready.

Mike recommended foil tape to cover the machining marks in the pocket, so I'll probably work on that tomorrow.

No comments: