Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cut Frame for Power Couplers, Pocket Vents, Cleaned Up Skirt Rib Seams

I was able to route out the rear power coupler area in the back of the bottom plate of the frame today. The routed area was left unlevel intentionally, as the round part of the power coupler sits higher than its frame. Even so, I'll probably need to put raise the power coupler a bit, I think I routed a tad too much material off.



I also Dremeled out the areas for the pocket vents. Not having the actual vents, I could only go by the blueprints. I hope I Dremeled out enough material!



While the skirt was off, I decided to go back with white silicone, and fill in some visible seams where the ribs are attached on the skirt.



At long last, it was time to start putting Humpty back together again.

Yesterday I had to pry off the blue panel that surrounds the front vents, so I reapplied silicon and used the clamps to hold the vent surround in place overnight.



I need to Dremel out a tiny bit more material for the front power coupler, and I want to start drilling the legs to attach the ankle details. Hopefully I'll get to all that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Calvin Thomas said...

I meant to ask you,
Hows the silicone holding?
Was it hard to seperate the panel?
I'm sorry to ask again,
What was the name of the silicone?
I lost all my saved files when me comp. crashed.
I want to get some this weekend and use it around my Logic surrounds.
Thanks
Calvin

Victor Franco said...

Hi Calvin,

I like the silicone a lot. It holds well over time, but it is possible to separate parts that have been adhered using it, so it's pretty nice. I used a thick business card as a soft knife, and slide it behind the blue panel that goes around the front vents to separate the panel from the skins. I only put a little bit of silicone on the blue panel, so I didn't have to separate that much silicone.

I'm using GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant (Clear) for Windows & Doors. I bought four tubes originally, and I'm just now finishing my first tube. So as usual, I overbought.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Victor

Victor Franco said...

Calvin, comcast may be blocking my e-mail to you. I got the automated response below when I wrote back and included a picture of the tube of silicone.

-Victor

---------- Content of automated comcast reply:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM: vfranco@ix.netcom.com SIZE=473247:
host gateway-r.comcast.net [216.148.227.126]:
550 207.69.195.103 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=comcast,dc=net -> BL003 Blocked for spam. Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18627