Saturday, July 15, 2006

Started Ankle Brackets

I started working on the ankle brackets today.

I'm making these out of PVC, once again following Mike's example. I'm also going to deviate slightly from the blueprints. Where the blueprints have the booster covers sitting completely on top of the ankle bracket, I am going to have them go through the ankle bracket, by cutting a hole in the bracket where the booster will fit.

I started off by cutting a 12"x24"x1/8" sheet of gray PVC roughly to size. First I cut the length, then the width.

Next, I traced the outline of the bracket shape onto the PVC, using a pin and an aluminum bracket that I'm not going to end up using on this droid.

After that, I rough-cut the curve using the Dremel cut-off wheel attachment. This was like a knife through butter, but don't breath the fumes!

I cleaned up the curve with the Dremel drum sander attachment.

I also spent a little more time working on the cylinder holders (more primer) and tried sanding the unpainted coin slots to get them to fit through my skins. They still don't fit, I may have to try cutting the one row of six slots into two pairs of three. Or even just cut them each out individually. We'll see.

No comments: