Saturday, June 24, 2006

Odds & Ends

I took care of several miscellaneous leg-related tasks today.

First, I applied primer to the MDF that will go in the armpits, where the under shoulder details go.

Next, I cut all the nubs off of the resin ankle cylinders, so that they will fit flat onto the ankles.

After that, I took a shot at cutting out the groove in the ankles. I drilled a 1/8" hole in each end of the groove (the blueprints don't specify the height of the groove, only the 1.875" width). Then I used the Dremel with the cutoff wheel attachment to cut the groove.

It turned out pretty ugly looking, but I think with some filing/sanding and wood putty where necessary, it should be okay.

Finally, I made little platforms to support the leg struts from underneath. I used the router table to cut a circle of the proper radius of the inner ankle, and then I chopped a piece of that circle to size to fit in the ankle.

I used a 3/4" diameter Forstner bit to cut a circle about 1/4" deep to support the strut. I will need to glue this platform in place, but I'm waiting until I'm done cleaning up the groove in the ankle before I block my path to the backside of the groove.

No comments: