Sunday, May 07, 2006

Routed and Cut Booster Covers

Time to break out the router table again.

In the morning, the glue had dried and I was able to route the top booster cover layer down to size to match the bottom layer that was glued yesterday. I was warned that the router bit would tend to grab the wood fibers, and it sure did. Fortunately, I don't think any damage was done, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.



Once that was done, it was time to cut a nine degree angle at the top of the booster cover, per the blueprints. I referenced Alan Wolfson's helpful web page, and set up the table saw for this cut. Thanks Alan for having this page!




I think everything turned out okay today. The booster covers have some scorch marks from the table saw blade, but I sanded everything smooth, so it's just cosmetic.



Lots of work still to do, like straightening out the curved areas in the keyhole area, and cutting the bottom part off the tuning fork. And yes, more primer work on the horseshoes. Getting closer. :)

No comments: