Friday, December 24, 2021

Worked on Steel Foot Door Frame

Today I worked on a slight annoyance with the steel center foot shell I sometimes use on either droid. The doors tend to rattle when driving with the omniwheels, due to a small gap between the door and the doorframe, so I worked on addressing that. (Note that I usually use a wooden center foot with a PVC foot shell, but when I want extra stability, I use the steel foot shell with the omniwheel foot.)

The problem is due to the fact that the door frame is 1/16" thick, but I'm using a 1/8" thick segment of PVC for the door holders and pivot sticks, which leaves a 1/16" gap between the PVC and the door, allowing for some rattle. I found a segment of 1/16" aluminum bar that should help eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the rattle.



A while back I had done a very lazy and sloppy job of oozing some JB Weld epoxy where the pivot sticks rest. It was very imprecise and didn't help a whole lot.



I scraped that mess off with a chisel.



Next, I cut the 1/16" aluminum bar into 8 equal length segments, as I'll need four segments for each foot.



Then I roughed up one side of the segments and cleaned them up, in preparation for gluing.



Finally, I glued the first four aluminum segments into place.



I'll let this set overnight, and glue in the four segments for the other door tomorrow.

No comments: