Friday, March 19, 2021

Sanded, Drilled R5-D4 Utility Arms for Pivot Rods for Droid #2

Today I sanded smooth the most recent filling work I did on the R5-D4 utility arms for droid #2.



It was time to turn my attention to drilling the holes in the utility arms that house the pivot rods. Earlier I had made alignment marks, based on the pivot rods in the blue arms (underneath the white arm).



With those marked, I was able to get to drilling. I measured how far I wanted to drill, and put a piece of tape on the drill bit as a depth indicator.



I used an old towel to protect the arms as I set them in a vise for drilling.



I used a level to make sure the alignment mark was, um, level.



The drill also has a level, so I can make sure I'm drilling straight into the resin.



And I drilled the hole.



Compared to the blue arm, the pivot rod depth is a pretty close match.



I repeated the process for the other arm and checked the fit in the droid.



Looks good. I think this is the first time in 4 sets of utility arms that I did this right on the first try for both arms.

No comments: