Sunday, May 19, 2019

Minor Repair for Top Utility Arm Backstop

Back at Wondercon at the end of March, I noticed that R2's top blue utility arm struggled to open under remote control sometimes. I finally got around to investigating the problem today, and it was pretty clear what was wrong.



The MDF that keeps the arm from swinging back into the body had sheared off. I searched the bottom of the inside of the droid, and very luckily I found the piece that had broken off.



I applied some wood glue and put the piece back in place. Should be good as new.




As repairs go, it doesn't get much simpler than this, just glue the piece back on. But from a builder and property-ownership standpoint, this is highly frustrating. I am certain a kid (or possibly adult) kept pushing R2's top blue arm into the body until the MDF finally snapped off. It's borderline vandalism, and it's the kind of thing that makes me want to not take my droid out in public as much. But I still do anyway.

No comments: