Sunday, February 08, 2015

Assembled RSeries Logics

The last few days I've been working on assembling Paul Murphy's outstanding RSeries front and rear logics.



One of the steps is to lightly sand the inner lenses for each logic so that they will help diffuse the light coming from the LEDs.



I attached these diffusers to their logics.



I also glued in the screw inserts, which I let dry overnight.



Once the glue was dry I was able to finish basic assembly.




Next up, installing the fiber optics. A long fiberoptic cable is supplied with the kit. It is inserted into each hole in the logic bezels and trimmed to size.

The first of many times of this (like 176 total).



I tried using a wire cutter, but it didn't work too well. So I switch to a razor blade, which was a bit harder to use, but did a better job of cutting the fiberoptic cable to be flush with the hole.



One down.



Getting there.



One front logic done. Time to do the second one.



And the second one is done. I turned the exposure way down to capture all that fiberoptic goodness.



On to the rear logic! There are 96 holes to fill for this one, and some of the routing is a bit tricky. I used some zip ties to keep the bezel from bowing out.



Each time I finished a row I tested it.



Getting there.




And done! Yea!



I need to figure out how I'm going to get these mounted in the dome. I'm not in a big rush, but I do look forward to seeing them installed.

4 comments:

perello23 said...

This is a great kit! I love the manual control board on this one.

Edward Reed (edwardo) said...

Great job! I have mine installed and love them! will never go back to bare LED's ever again!

Victor Franco said...

Thanks Ed & Ed! :)

Jessica said...

Todd did the same type of thing when doing R7-C1's front logics. It was necessary, because she had 4 and the boards didn't fit close together.

The only thing we did different was we used optics that were the same thickness as the LED.