Friday, July 04, 2014

City of La Verne's 2014 4th of July Parade

Today my droid participated in the city of La Verne, CA's 4th of July Parade. I got to use the flag waving feature that I added to R2 these past several days.



Manuel Cruz brought a pickup truck and trailer so that we could haul droids, Jawas, Tuskens and whatever other denizens needed a ride. I backed the Element up for an easy transfer, at the tender hour of 7:22am, as some 70(!) characters got into costume.



We lined up behind a cool, old-time fire truck, which hosted bottled water and more characters.



The troopers took one last breath before their march.



Around 10:00am the parade started, and we were under way. Vader and the Stormtroopers lead the Star Wars group, followed by the firetruck, then us, then the Tuskens and Rebels. I was riding in the passenger seat of the pickup, so I could only take pictures in our immediate vicinity. I'd never been in a parade before outside of being cramped in the back of a Humvee, so I didn't know whether to wave or not. I did end up waving a little bit, but I mainly left the waving to R2 and his flag.

I was told last year there were 10,000 people along the 2.5 mile route, and that this year far surpassed that. I must have heard, "It's R2-D2!" hundreds of times.






A video clip amongst the pics.









And finally, video at the finish line.




The full photoset is here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the parade and my friends and I LOVED the Star Wars group. I've been telling people about it all week! How did this group from a galaxy far, far away end up in little ol' La Verne?

Victor Franco said...

Thanks for writing and the nice comments!

It turns out one of the costumed participants is also a La Verne police officer, and he organized the appearance of all the Star Wars characters. He got an absolutely amazing turnout, it was one of our largest events ever.

I throughly enjoyed having R2 out there. It didn't hurt that I got to ride in an air conditioned truck either. :)