Tonight I drilled the outer holes on the new shoulder discs for droid #2. These 5/16" diameter holes are used to bolt the discs to the legs. As I mentioned yesterday, the original discs have six superfluous holes (otherwise known as mistakes) that I won't be duplicating.
This was the easy part. I used a nail that fits through holes drilled in the centers of the discs to align the original discs with the new ones, and drilled the first hole.
For each hole I drilled, I inserted a bolt to keep everything aligned.
I used a bit similar to a spade bit (but better) to drill the large hole for the motor wires to pass through, on their way from the body, down the leg to the feet.
I repeated the process for the second set of discs.
Next up, I need to figure out exactly where to drill the four inner holes that will secure the gas pipe flange. These will be offset a few degrees from the holes in the original disc. I plan to rotate the disc on the nail to the proper location and drill the holes, and then perfectly match the offset on the opposite disc. This will require careful planning and execution, so I'm going to take my time to try to get it right.