Sunday, November 06, 2011

FIRST Robotics Competition in San Diego

Today R2 made an 85 mile trip south, for an appearance at the FIRST Robotics competition in San Diego, CA.



FIRST stands for "For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology." Today's competition was hosted by High Tech High School, its FIRST team and its leaders. The competition was for middle school students in the FIRST LEGO League, using LEGO Mindstorms.



R2 made his appearance at the lunch break.



It didn't take long for the kids to join in for pictures.




I guess I'm kind of partial to any team that wears In-n-Out hats.



Refs need a picture too.



After lunch, R2 took a spot on the stage, while the competition resumed.




At the end of the day, after all the middle school kids had gone home and the tables put away, I did a demonstration of how R2 works for the high school team. I even mentioned that all that trigonometry didn't go to waste after all.



Thank you to Cathy Schulz for inviting me to join them, and to Paul Bussiere for putting her in touch with me.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Thanks so much for helping my good friend out and her students. You made their day!

(And...as Han Solo said to Luke...that's TWO I owe you!)

-Paul