Sunday, July 03, 2011

Center Leg Hacking

Today I returned to Mike's for consultation on how to get the center leg to lean back the required 18 degrees.

The first thing we tried was redrilling the ankle bolt hole 1/8" lower. While I didn't hold out much hope that this would solve the lean problem, it would help solve another - that the bolt had trouble fitting through the foot shell door since the hole was so high.

Mike marked the spot to drill, and did the drilling.




I forgot to take a picture of a test fit, but suffice it to say that the lean problem didn't improve much. The protractor shows where the lean should be.



Alright, fine. I knew what I had to do, so I did it.



Well, it leans now.



This means that my droid is out of spec. So is my first droid, and I haven't been cast out yet. I've even seen pictures of a Lucasfilm droid that has the curved area of the ankle squared off.

I JB Welded the flange back in the hole.




The hacked leg got the Evercoat treatment, followed by a coat of white primer. I can't use gray primer now, since I can't easily hit the spots that were hacked.



I'll probably clean this up just a little more, paint it, and call it done.

I really don't know what went wrong, as all the parts are to club spec, but for whatever reason things didn't come together like I hoped they would. Oh well.

No comments: