Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Installed Coin Slots and Front Power Coupler

This evening I worked on installing the coin slots (which I haven't painted yet), and the front power coupler (which I have painted). First up, the coin slots.

I needed to trim about 1/8" off the top of the coin slots, to avoid having the top of the part bump into the rib above it. I did this using the Dremel with the cutoff wheel.

Next, I cut a couple of 3.5" segments of bar, that I hammered into an 'S' shape to help hold the coin returns in place.

I marked and drilled a hole for a 3/4" long #4 wood screw that will secure the bar in place.

For droid #1 I have one of these bars, I decided to go with a pair of them for droid #2. The cretins little angels sometimes like to press the coin slots in, so this should help keep them in place.

Next up, the front power coupler. As with droid #1, I stayed with the metal bars again. I cut a couple of segments, roughly 1.25" to 1.50" long, and marked and drilled the holes for a 3/4" #4 wood screw, just like for the coin slots.

With the two bars screwed down, the power coupler is secure.

I might work on installing the octagon ports next, but I need to decide exactly how I'll deal with the aluminum version I'm using on droid #2. I'll likely do something similar to what I did for droid #1, and drill a couple of holes for screws in the back and attach some sort of paddle to the back of the octagon port and to the rib above it. We shall see.

No comments: