Saturday, June 13, 2009

Back to Booster Cover Work

After a few weeks away from the booster cover rework, I decided to pick up where I left off and do some chopping.

I trimmed the top pieces to match the width of the booster cover bodies, and I cut the overall height to be 3.35", leaving 0.10" for the kerf of the blade for the next step.

Next, I marked and cut the area that will be right beneath the slots in the top pieces.

Finally, I ran the numbers to determine what angle I should be using when tilting the drill press table to form the curve at the top of the piece. I checked and rechecked my work based on the blueprints, and I came up with 8.78 degrees. That number sounds a little high intuitively, and although I do trust my math, I will also check against droid #1.

No comments: