Sunday, January 25, 2009

Filed and Pinned Gas Pipe

Today I spent some time preparing the gas pipe that joins the wooden legs together for use with the new, stronger NPC 2212 motors.

The first thing I did was file a flat spot on the outer gas pipe, where the angle iron rests upon it. (More on that a little further down.)

Next, I drilled four 1/8" holes, ninety degrees apart, on each gas pipe flange.

Next, I took some 1/8" diameter, 3/4" long steel pins that I usually use to pin the shaft adapters to the Saturn motors, and used them to pin the gas pipe to the flange. The gas pipe is already JB Welded on, but this provides extra reinforcement. The pins are also JB Welded on. I made sure the gas pipes could still slide all the way into each other without hitting the pins first, by inserting all the bolts into the gas pipes that I worked on yesterday.

I squeezed in a couple of minutes to paint the channel pieces of the new drivetrain white. Something went a little wrong with one of the corners, I will go back and touch that up soon.

Finally, I started putting the droid back together. The angle iron now rests on the flat spot on the gas pipe.

I hope to return to the rewiring work tomorrow.

No comments: