Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dome Drive Motor Transplant

Well, I found myself up a creek, and I had to figure out how I was going to paddle out of it.

The problem is that I'm moving my droid from 24 volts to 12 volts, due to the new 12 volt NPC motors I will be using soon. I had already converted every one of my Saturn motors to 24 volts, including the dome drive, using Alex Kung's tutorial. That fact in and of itself isn't so bad, but the problem is that I discarded all of the parts that get removed during the conversion, leaving myself in a bind to undo the conversion.

I finally decided to attempt to use one of my failed Saturn motors as an organ donor, as it has been donated to medical science at this point.

Only three parts need to be harvested from the failed motor. Two of the parts are shown here, the brush housing with spring, and the brush. (At least, I think that's what these parts are.)

I wasn't able to attach the brush housing to the small electronics board the way it's meant to be attached, so instead I used superglue to glue down the housing, with the spring and brush already inside. I can only hope this will stay attached indefinitely. The bond certainly seems strong as of now.

The third part I needed from the failed Saturn motor was a coil.

Now everything I needed from the bad motor has been transferred and soldered to the dome drive motor.

Time to close it up and test it out with a 12 volt battery.

It worked!!

I think I'm in business, and I'm ready to convert the droid itself to 12 volts. I currently have four 6-volt batteries, they are paired up in series of twos for 12 volts, and then the two pairs of 12 volt battery pairs are themselves paired up in series to provide 24 volts to the droid's main power bus. (I also have a 24->12 volt adapter for my sound card and mist solenoid.) I will wire up the two banks of 12 volt battery pairs to be in parallel rather than in series, and then my droid will be a 12 volt droid.

No comments: