Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sanded Evercoat on Skirt, Coded Up New CFSOUND.BAS

Tonight I spent a little time sanding down the Evercoat I applied to the inside of the box/base area of the skirt last night.

The other thing I did was a bit more fun, I wrote a CFSOUND.BAS file for my CFSound III sound system, based on work done by Chris James.

The idea was that I wanted to be able to get R2 to beep at random intervals by himself, with the press of a button on the transmitter. The dome and sound automation circuit on my droid can do this too, but I didn't want to have to reach under the droid to flip a switch, and I wanted to be able to generate sounds at random intervals without having the dome rotate too.

I chose button 10 to be the button that toggles this functionality. All the other buttons function as they used to, although now under program control. This was one of the rare times I had complete confidence that I knew what I was doing. ;)

Here is some diagnostic console output.

2 comments:

Britfest said...

Ok I have a lot of qwestions for you LOL.

First can you make code for just one button and leave the old file intact.

If not do you delete the old file completely?

Is there any way to screw up the CF3 programing so the computer does not recognize it and you are out of luck?

A nice vidio of how to do what you and Chris did from a 6 year olds point of view would be nice.

Chris's vids and wiki info are great but a lot of pre set up info is not in it and it is a little over most of our heads in certain parts for us non programmers.

Mesa have no clue!

Victor Franco said...

Moose,

Answers below.

>Ok I have a lot of qwestions for you LOL.

Ask away!


> First can you make code for just one button and leave the old file intact.

Sadly, no. It's all or nothing. The old cfsound.ini file appears to be overridden by the new cfsound.bas file, so the new file has to take on the work that the cfsound.ini file use to do. Fortunately, it's not too much work.


> If not do you delete the old file completely?

I left the old cfsound.ini file on the CF card, in case I ever want to go back to using it. I believe all I would need to do is delete the cfsound.bas file, and they system would go back to using cfsound.ini.


> Is there any way to screw up the CF3 programing so the computer does not recognize it and you are out of luck?

Yes. :( When I was working on the BASIC program, I had a bug or two that I had to fix. When the bugs were encountered, the sounds stopped working. Scary!


> A nice vidio of how to do what you and Chris did from a 6 year olds point of view would be nice.


Hopefully I can put something together in the future.


> Chris's vids and wiki info are great but a lot of pre set up info is not in it and it is a little over most of our heads in certain parts for us non programmers.

Mesa have no clue!


LOL It's really not too hard, once you have some sample code and the manuals from acscontrols.com.

-Victor