Friday, August 15, 2008

Trimmed Horseshoe Pocket Corners

I crack myself up sometimes. You know those horseshoe pocket templates I was working on? I decided not to use them!

The template for the hydraulic pocket came out fine, but the template for the button pockets did not produce perfectly square shapes. Rather than trying to make another button pocket template, it occurred to me that I could recycle one of the old A&A horseshoe layers that I never did use for droid #1, so I decided to use that as my template.

First, I lined up one large layer from the A&A horseshoes on top of the back side of my partially-glued-together MDF horseshoes. Once the pockets were perfectly aligned, I taped them together.

Next, I drilled some holes through the PVC layer, and just slightly into the MDF.

I nailed four small nails into the layers, locking them together.

Then I used my new 1/4" diameter flush-cut bit to route each corner down to size. Here is the "before" picture, with a 1/4" radius in each corner.

Here is the "after" picture, with the new 1/8" corner radius.

Not an earth-shattering difference, but it is an improvement.

If I weren't so lazy, I would now take a file, and square each corner. Actually, it's not so much that I'm lazy, as it is that I'm concerned that I'll file the corners improperly and end up with trapezoidal pockets. I haven't ruled out giving it a try, but it's not a priority for me.

No comments: