Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Labeled Dome #2

Dome #2?!? What dome #2?

Well, yeah, I kind of bought two of everything without mentioning it before, because I do plan to build a second droid at some point. Surprise!

At R2LA V later this month, Mike plans to do a painting demo, which works out great for me, because I need some dome panels painted. But rather than pry off my existing panels now, what if I had another dome's panels to work with?

So I do have a second R&J dome, and I marked the panels tonight, in preparation for cutting and removing from the dome. I used the same labeling scheme as last time, from a PDF file I found in one of our droid building resource folders.



I guess technically this means I'm starting on droid #2 now, but since I don't plan to do much beyond cutting out and painting the panels for a while, I'll won't count this in the timeline. If only everything about droid building were this easy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, the truth be told...

Victor. You know the first step to overcoming your addiction is to admit you have a problem so repeat after me...

I am addicted to building Astromech Droids and updating my Blog nightly for the rest of those also addicted...

Victor Franco said...

My name is Victor, and I'm a droid-aholic.

Calvin Thomas said...

Sneaky Sneaky Victor!!!
Are you going to use the same method for the next build?
The reason I ask, My wife's R3 is being made of Styrene and I tell you "That stuff is strong"
I'm very impressed with how her frame and skins have turned out so far.
And the weight issue is not an issue.
Anyway, I can't wait to see what you do next.
Calvin

Victor Franco said...

Calvin,

I'll probably follow the build method of droid #1 very closely, using plywood for the frame and legs again. But I am intrigued with all the initial success builders have been having with styrene lately, and I'll keep an eye on that.

-Victor